Instructions for using the "Reserve" program
- You need to have a version of OpenSSH
installed on your computer. There
is a free version of OpenSSH for Windows computers called PuTTY. See
the bottom of the page for instructions on how to load and configure it. This
only has to be done once per computer. Mac
computers running OS 10 have SSH already installed.
- For Windows, double click on the PuTTY
icon to start the program (see
for Mac and UNIX alternatives)..
- Click on the kunmr saved session and
- Click Open.
- At the prompt ?login as:? enter the
user name reserve.
- Enter the global reserve password.
- You will see a menu with choices 1
(400), 2 (500), 3 (Higuchi 400), or
q (quit). Choose the appropriate
- Enter your username and password (the
ones you previously used for
- You will see a user profile screen. The
first time you use it, enter your name, lab number, lab phone number,
email address. Subsequently,
if there are no changes to this information, enter D(one).
- You will see a schedule for the day
consisting of 10 minute blocks (or,
if you are the first person reserving time on that day, it will be
when you make a reservation). Each
day is one column longer than the screen, so you will either be missing
the first four hours of the day, or the last four hours. For
reservations, your choices are make, delete, change, rules, or
You can see the missing time or proceed to other days by using the
and backward options.
- To make a reservation, choose M(ake). Enter
your start time and either end time or total time. If
your reservation is OK, it will be displayed.
- If your reservation is not consistent
with the signup rules, you can
the complete list of rules that applies to you, or see which rule your
requested reservation failed to meet.
- Announcements about the instruments
can be viewed by typing S(tatus). This
screen is not displayed for you automatically, but you should check it
- When you are finished making
reservations, type q(uit).
- From the main screen, type q(uit)
are automatically logged out.
Using a Mac or UNIX computer:
- Open a terminal window,
ssh -l reserve
(-l reserve indicates you want to log in as reserve)
Then proceed as above. On a Mac, the Terminal program can
be accessed by going to the Accessories folder, to the Utilities folder.
Installing and configuring PuTTY on a Windows
- PuTTY comes as a self-extracting
executable, PuTTY.exe. You
can download it here, double click the .exe file and follow the
onscreen. After the installation,
you should have a PuTTY icon on your desktop.
- Double click PuTTY and create a
session profile for reserve as follows:
- In the Saved Sessions window, type
- Under protocol, choose SSH. This
will change the entry in the Port window to 22.
- Under Host Name, enter
- In the Category window on the left,
choose SSH. Then
choose SSH protocol 2. Now
go back to Session under Category.
- Click Save. In
you only need to highlight reserve in the Saved Sessions window, and
- The first time you connect to kunmr7,
the program will stop and ask you
if you want to accept the public encryption key from kunmr7. Say
yes. Enter the user name
reserve and proceed as above.